Just as iOS 5.1.1 was pushed out, the Apple TV firmware 5.0.1 is being released to the public. As always, these small updates aren’t a huge thing to get excited about, but they do provide bug fixes and a few additional features.
Like we said, this Apple TV update is version 5.0.1 with build number 9B206f. All 2nd and 3rd generation devices should have no problem completing the upgrade. Just head on over to your TV’s software update menu to begin the download and installation.
According to Apple, these are the major additions and bug fixes:
- iTunes previews – Previews for movies and TV shows from the iTunes Store can now be viewed in HD.
- AirPlay – Fixes an issue that caused some iOS apps to have trouble connecting via AirPlay.
- Home Sharing – Improves the reliability of Home Sharing connections.
- Netflix – Addresses an issue affecting Netflix login and navigation.
- Stability and performance – Includes fixes for issues affecting stability and performance.
If your an Apple TV 2 users and currently, or wish to have a jailbroken device than I would advise you not complete this upgrade. A tethered jailbreak is currently available for the second generation device, but an untethered is in the works. Completing this upgrade would increase waiting time for a jailbreak.
If you want to jailbreak your iOS 5 Apple TV, click here to learn how…