A new method for unlocking any jailbroken iPhone has risen. iPhone hacker Loktar_Sun has released ‘SAM’ (Subscriber Artificial Module) over this past weekend. The package is currently out now and is free of charge. When I say any iPhone, I mean even the iPhone 4s and 4, which can be tough phones to unlock using Ultrasn0w.
This unlock method has had mixed review thus far, but the step-by-step process has to be followed closely to work. Even MuscleNerd, an iPhone Dev Team member has verified that this new method works.
Now follow the step by step unlocking method below to learn how to unlock your iPhone. Instructions provided by Singularity:
1. Install Sam Bingner’s SAM (Subscriber Artificial Module) package. I recommend that you get it from repo.bingner.com since older versions have a different interface and may not work for this purpose.
2. Enter SAM by either going through the settings menu or find the SAMPrefs icon on your springboard. You will need to have the SIM card you intend to use in your phone.
3. Go to utilities and select “De-Activate iPhone”, your ActivationState under “More Information” should now be “Unactivated”
4. With SAM enabled, choose “By Country and Carrier” in “Method”; find your carrier, for some carriers operating more than one Carrier ID you may need to select “SIM ID”; easy to tell since iTunes will not activate if the wrong IMSI is selected.
5. Go to More Information”, copy or write down the IMSI in “SAM Details”, then tap “Spoof Real SIM to SAM”.
6. Go back to the main SAM screen and change your “Method” to manual. Paste or enter the IMSI string we saved in Step 5.
7. Connect your iPhone to your computer and allow iTunes to do its job (namely re-activating your phone), double click “Phone Number” parameter at the main device screen and make sure that the ICCID matches that of your SIM card. If not you need to start over from Step 1.
8. Unplug your phone, close iTunes.
9. Disable SAM. The source article says to uninstall SAM and delete your lockdownd folders; it’s unnecessary.
10. Connect your phone to iTunes again, you should get an error saying that your phone cannot be activated. This is normal. Just close iTunes and open it again.
11. You should see signal bars in a short time, congratulations.
12. Push notifications may stop working after this procedure but can be easily restored with “clear push” utility in SAM followed by connecting to iTunes.
Well, there you have it! Your iPhone should be freely unlocked for use on just about any carrier. But there are limitations to this unlock method. You cannot switch your SIM cards in and out, once your iPhone has been tricked for working on the unlocked SIM card you have to repeat the process once again to work on another SIM.
Hows this method work? Your basically tricking iTunes into thinking that the SIM card you inserted has the ICCID of your iPhones original carrier. If you had any trouble than head on over to here for instructions with a few pictures to help guide you along.