This past weekend was a productive few days for the jailbreak team. We learned early on that Pod2g had plans to release the jailbreak before this week ends. He said via his twitter that the release will come in, “a matter of days”. Later confirmation from iOS hacker @xvolks on twitter noted that he was successful at jailbreaking his device using Absinthe 2.0, a tool yet to be released.
This past week we knew the jailbreak was to come soon, but we weren’t all to sure what tool the Dev-team would incorporate the process into. Redsn0w and GreenPosi0n were two possibilities, but Absinthe seemed more likely because it was released to jailbreak A5 devices on iOS 5.0.1 during the past.
Hacker @xvolks even provided video proof of the Absinthe 2.0 tool in action, but later made the video private for an unknown reason. The video basically had shown the tool is identical to the Absinthe tool released to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 devices in January. Entering DFU mode isn’t even needed, just a few clicks of your mouse. And this tool will work with all A4 and A5 devices unlike the original Absinthe tool.
The jailbreak will also make its way into Redsn0w eventually according to the Dev Teams @MuscleNerd. An actual release for that though will probably be at least a few weeks, if not months.
Check out this ‘Info Sheet’ posted to MuscleNerds website:
* All info below is tentative and subject to last minute refinements
* @pod2g’s 5.1.1 jailbreak+untether is working out great. All devices are covered except for AppleTV3,1, which currently has no path for jailbreaking.
– the initial 5.1.1 plan used a kernel exploit from @westbaer which unfortunately precluded use in iPod3,1 and iPhone2,1
– @planetbeing stepped up and provided a kernel exploit that covers both of those. Those two JBers are the bomb!
* The 5.1.1 A5 JB is very similar to the A5 5.0.1 JB. @pimskeks has done a tremendous job supporting both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 in absinthe
* Similar to 5.0.1, there will also be a 5.1.1 CLI “cinject” binary and redsn0w version of the 5.1.1 JB+untether. Absinthe, cinject, and redsn0w will all provide the same JB in different fashions.
– timing is indeterminate. Plans are for this week, but a number of factors can influence that.
* For those wishing to donate, we’ve set up a new 5.1.1 paypal URL: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=4U6DQGJ2NRVUN
* Please don’t pirate AppStore apps (seriously, please do not).
Overall MuscleNerd explains that all A4/A5 devices excluding the Apple TV 3rd Generation will work with the Absinthe 2.0 tool. As stated above, the tool will be similar to the past Absinthe. And for more experienced users, a CLI version of the jailbreak tool will be released come later.
MuscleNerd also notes that he doesn’t want users pirating applications from the App-Store. It is illegal, and in the past he has said if you plan to do so than download the application for testing purposes and purchase it later if you enjoy it.
So there you have it! That is all the information arised this weekend regarding the jailbreak. This week sure is going to be a crazy one. We will have video walkthroughs and text walkthroughs of the jailbreak upon the release.